Business idea reality check

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by Carni, Jan 29, 2019.

1. look up CA H&S 11362.777 (g)

The fact that you aren't depending on this for income to start off with is great. I made a post on the other page that if you don't know dick about growing weed (even if you do) and you start doing things where instead of "climbing the ladder" you make a humongous grow with all these plants and equipment invested, you will most likely fail. That's why people meme these "investor grows". The model is often shaky at best.

The best thing to do is follow the law regarding primary caregiving. See if you can make constant sales, build up clientele. You have no idea how long it takes to build up. From my first harvest it took 3 - 6 months of near daily work of phone calls, small sales, etc to get to the number of clients that I was satisfied working with and were taking enough weight and numbers.

The more weed you grow with more people involved and more volume the less fun it gets, the less you make per product, and the more risky.

The goal is to do everything yourself as much as you reasonably can and to work your way up.

When you are successful and make a lot of money that way and then you can think of getting a license and workers to make as much or more money for it, then that's when you need to consider that. License = taxes, crazy regulations that you will need to hire a lawyer for, etc. etc. the dynamic changes when you get people involved in a bad way more often than not in my experience.

You're gonna want to grow a method like rockwool with a floraflex if you're gonna be busy at work every day.

If you don't want the cops to bust you if you want to haul pounds in your car keep the smell concealed in your trunk. My guy who hauls my product for me when I need him to got pulled over with 11 pounds the other day and nothing happened except a usual traffic ticket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Its becoming a bad investment. I wouldn't do it for the legal market.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks man, this is game changing info if I understood it correctly.

I can't find any definition for "primary caregiver" in this context. What does that mean exactly?

Pasting it here for reference.

(g) This section does not apply to a qualified patient cultivating cannabis pursuant to Section 11362.5 if the area he or she uses to cultivate cannabis does not exceed 100 square feet and he or she cultivates cannabis for his or her personal medical use and does not sell, distribute, donate, or provide cannabis to any other person or entity. This section does not apply to a primary caregiver cultivating cannabis pursuant to Section 11362.5 if the area he or she uses to cultivate cannabis does not exceed 500 square feet and he or she cultivates cannabis exclusively for the personal medical use of no more than five specified qualified patients for whom he or she is the primary caregiver within the meaning of Section 11362.7 and does not receive remuneration for these activities, except for compensation provided in full compliance with subdivision (c) of Section 11362.765. For purposes of this section, the area used to cultivate cannabis shall be measured by the aggregate area of vegetative growth of live cannabis plants on the premises. Exemption from the requirements of this section does not limit or prevent a city, county, or city and county from exercising its police authority under Section 7 of Article XI of the California Constitution.

Source: 2016 California Code :: Health and Safety Code - HSC :: DIVISION 10 - UNIFORM CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT :: CHAPTER 6 - Offenses and Penalties :: ARTICLE 2.5 - Medical Marijuana Program :: Section 11362.777.

4. yeah i've made the choice that until i get in a situation that works with the numbers and the work isn't too crazy i'm toning it down from investor grows and am growing at home in a converted room and making easy money with dank bud 100% my own profit, everyone satisfied every time, i sell way less to make more money.

this prop 64 system is so bad that i honestly couldn't even believe it would be a worse model than i had previously imagined.

the deal would have to be very enticing and I don't believe it's going to come soon until the state really understands the situation and they are demonstrating that they are pushing their greed to the utter limit with taxes and regulations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. It's not an investment it's a project and a learning experience first. As long as I come in with low expectations then there isn't much to lose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. In that case go nuts friend. Growing is an excellent hobby that everyone should try. Good luck! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tbh he's more likely to be a better grower this way and end up making more money later on in my experience.

it's almost like the more greedy you are with this plant from the start it's just gonna take a shit on you lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 5 California Health and Safety Code 11362.5(e): For the purposes of this section, "primary caregiver" means the individual designated by the person exempted under this section who has consistently assumed responsibility for the housing, health, or safety of that person.

Source: "Primary Caregivers" & California Medical Marijuana Law

I'm not sure if there's any loopholes there but I don't think I qualify as a caregiver. Anyway, you guys have pointed me to the right directions, I'll get legal advice before I do anything.

9. #29 dabs710, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    know the person who you're primary caregiving for well, meaning they would absolutely be willing to stand up for you in court. google "designiation of primary caregiver marijuana california". get their rec and have them sign the form.

this is the way distributors used to do business in California sometimes, as well as Michigan and Washington State.

the way you are primary caregiving with a few patients is you are protecting their health through giving them cannabis.

the courts have previously ruled in favor of people whom use this defense.

they don't favor you when you're a "primary caregiver" for hundreds or thousands of people.

i don't think you can justify more than 5, unless you claim the law is an overstep of prop 215. but you can do well with 500 sq ft anyways.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. listen to what dabs710 is saying. He is telling you everything I would have. You keep saying its a side gig and not your main income source. Primary Caregiver is the way to go. You will be surprised on how much the extra side cash really is.

Estimations of a legal grow operation with permits really do run into the $10,000(s) and even $100,000(s) depending on size and scope. You asked for a reality check and here it is. I have worked with 3 clients who became legal growers in Southern California. Their cost before getting to turn on their first grow light was easily $50,000+ (just for licensing not including any equipment). Could it be done for less? Yes but you will be fighting an uphill battle. Talk to the consultants and lawyers and see what they say. Spend $100 and have them answer any and all your questions. Better to spend $100 and get the answers your looking for then to go online onto a public forum.

Is it worth it? For a side gig HELL no. For a full time gig, yes but you also have to remember your upfront cost is going to be HUGE. Forget about the license and permits, you will need to find a location that will allow you to do it. Sure you could grow at your home, but you are putting your home at risk from a raid. Also most residential homes are near a school, so that will immediately make you in-eligible to get a permit. Power for residential customers is also a hell of a lot more expensive then commercial power. Then you have your power bill, insurance, water, trash and so on. In the licensing process they want you to show your not going to dispose of the unwanted plant matter, and water in public trash or sewer system un-treated, so you will need to deal with that as well. There are 100s of other issues you will have to deal with as well. Download the application and start trying to fill it out. It will really give you a clue on how much work and money it will take.

Best of luck.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thank you so much guys.

12. A similar interest myself, and definitely a helpful thread.. :thankyou:

13. IT sounds like a great idea

14. Don’t do this at your Moms house.
    With all of the capital you say you have, be smart, lease a commercial building and arm the hell out of it.
    IMO… it would be irresponsible to expose your Mom and her house to the risks involved.
    Actually, just be prepared for risk from all angles.
    And good luck;)

15. Shortly, first (at least) year will bring nothing but expenses.
    Besides the legal issues that were well explained to you earlier, there are many more things that come only with experience.
    Try it and let it work out for you.