Big Cats/Spots

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Dizzy, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Why an How is that Leopards an Cheetahs an Jaguars are all Yellow With Black Spots...Lol that's pretty Wild when you think about it imo. Anyways iwas Just Thinking about this Because they are Beautiful Animals.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dizzy, My head hurts when I think about stuff like that :blink: it’s too crazy.
    And what about zebras and all those stripes. How in the world does that work???

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. #3 Killerbee4323, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Its camouflage. Just like your dog has a dark over coat and a. Lighter under coat for the belly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. all the bright red ..blue and other colors but yellow were eaten by other animals
    over time the yellow hides the cat from other meat eaters ..
    if the grass was green over time you'd expect green colored cats too

But....the picture house cat is black and I sit on here every single time I go to watch a flick

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Yea @Nokie112 @Killerbee4323 @vostok But I Mean Dont You Think it's Weird That 3 Different Animals Are Basically the Same Kinda Fur Colors an Patterns? Especially Since one if Them is Ona Diiferent Continent al Together too lol. Thats Crazy to Think About how The Chances of it Happening like that.

~Toni~

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. I totally agree. And the fact that every single one of them is the same way boggles my mind. I love any kind of wildlife and animals. Don’t even get me started on how crazy fish or anything in the ocean is,lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. [​IMG]
    Darwin used finch's or Birds ..tho here we discuss cats it can be any animal even flower or human

the difficulty in understanding truth is the tendency to shy away from the complexity of reality.
    Besides farmers even dog breeders have been adjusting the genome of animals for centuries
    in fact many (of us) are doing the very same with 'weed' dragging out new strains for the market

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. Jaguars hunt in bushes. Cheetahs run through grass and leopards seem to exist across 3 continents. I imagine the spots breakup the silhouette so they don't look so cat like from a far.

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. Wow That is Really Cool an Interesting Vostok...Alotta Stuff ion Understand tho too...just The Same Thank You Sharing The Video :)

Good Point My Friend. I Just Think That All Big Cats are Beautiful too. Do You Have a Favorite?

~Toni~

10. I suspect there is more intelligence to creatures, possibly along the lines of what Rupert Sheldrake talks about. The notion that these cats just happened to produce a darker spot and somehow that aided its survival amd over many generations its gene for spots was emphasized.

Especially when you look at absolutely breathtaking camouflage like some Octopus.

To me there is something more profound going on that we haven't discovered yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. #11 gumbygrow, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Ocelots, bobcats, and lynx all have spots as well.
    Cougar kittens have spots, even lion cubs have faint ones.

I was fortunate enough to watch an adult cougar in the wild for about 45 minutes. They are extremely camouflaged even without spots. When they stop they just disapear.
    Unfortunately I only had my small telephoto at the time.
    View attachment 2912104

Snow leapords are my favourite of all the big cats. Tigers are prolly #2.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Where is it Gumby, i can't see it:biggrin:...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Leopards and the the like aren't just the traditional tan and spotted, but typically take on a hue that best allows them to camouflage in their habitat. So, let's not discount the snow leopards! There are the black ones too, more common to Asia, but while that's more of a genetic thing (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), black still lends itself pretty well to hunting and hiding.

What I find pretty interesting is all of the "Legends" of big cats in places outside of their natural (known) ranges. Unconfirmed panther sightings happen in the UK, Europe, even Australia. Maybe that's another testament to their ability for camouflage.

Or maybe someone forgot their glasses and mistook @Digga's old pal Vader for a black panther :confused_2: :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ha indeed. I love this one of him up in the Nectarine tree, Vader the Gippsland Panther. Lol...
    new photos 1613.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1