Best Material for SCROG Screen

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by MuddyTires, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Speaker wire is much more workable. (plyable, whatever the word is i am searching for ) :)

2. hadn't figured the flexibility factor..good catch bro..that shit stiff..plus tha soft plastic coating..and cheap:smoke:

3. When I built my screen (PVC pipe for the frame) I had bought this rubber coated wire from Home Depot. But I was stringing my screen strand by strand, and this wire was just not flexible enough to wrap around and do anything with. As I was getting up to go back to the store, I spied a spool of speaker wire out of the corner of my eye in my closet. Had a few hundred feet. Even split the wire down the middle so I doubled my length available. Was a piece of cake to work with. I tied it at one end, and at the other end, I fed it through the holes, and just wrapped it around the pvc, then used small pieces of black duct tape to secure it. Its on its second grow and holding up strong.

4. i am currently working on making a scrog screen, and i have had my mind set on using black paracord/ 550 cord for the material, i have 150ft of it so why not, tactical grow anyone? :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  5. a replacement spool of weedwacker line from homedepot is my choice combo'd with some pvc. it has the flexibility and strength and its bright blue and orange so you can see whats going on in that scroggy mess :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. I used 18 Gauge Aluminum Wire..

Comes in rolls for about 2.50$.
    I used less than two to make one
    for a 32x32 scrog with 14 strings
    going across each side.

Easy to bend and sculpt, very strong

Find it at Lowes or the Casa Depot

Hope it helps

7. I ripped an old chunk of 1/2" plywood into 3/4" strips then used kite string on 2" centers. I used 1 whole length of string for each direction ie; 1 long piece for the longways strings and a 2nd long piece for the short side pcs. It's not "awesome" but it works and 1 nice thing about it is you can pass your hand through a hole if you need too reach a stem that would otherwise be difficult to reach.

Attached Files:

8. Speaker wire is laying--or hanging--around at 99 cent stores: .99 for 40ft.

9. I just baught a roll of plastic grdening fence 1" mesh from home depot and cut out the center to make 2" mesh DSCN0165.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. I just ordered a "decorative fish net" from Amazon. Its about $5, has 2" squares, and is about the right size for my needs. Its even green. It looks perfect, but I'll let you know how it works out.

11. It worked great!
    [​IMG]

I think one could easily make a 3'x6' screen from this. Mine is 2'x4'. It is a little tricky to stretch it out properly, but it seems strong and doesn't block too much light and it is springy so it won't damage the plants.

12. I think the speaker wire idea is probably the best and safest on the plant. As far as installing... I plan on using pvc for the frame with hooks on all four corners, attached to a small chain with hooks that connect it to the top pvc of my grow tent. This keeps it easily adjustable if need be.

13. Rite now im pvc[always] n using thick braided rope cuz like mentioned above it was handy adding this this week- which is about late veg fir me :) they'll love the cree for bloom p300 n ledgle 315w dimmable totalling bout 650w draw when i add www.timbergrowlight.com s 100w cxb3590s in :) gonna use polypropylene twine plasticy multicolored diff spools one blue one yellow etc jus use one color for ease its not too thick to block light but really is great Def using twine fir 2nd tier tho 20170129_231727.jpg 20170130_222821.jpg 20170130_002632.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Anything that doesn't melt or cut the plants i think is ALL good really lol

15. In other news got my 1st passport for Dominican republic in march :) 1485837507005705997361.jpg

16. I think that's a good idea... I have some around the house I might try to use it because I need to save money anyways.

17. Can you explain what you mean? You mean you strung it like shoelaces 1 long piece? What is better, doing each one with a short pece of string instead of one long one?

18. I did not read all the replies but as a scrogger myself, i use and recommend mason string from walmart.
    metal stuff tends to become grown into the buds like a wire fence in a tree.
    also, i saw mentions of weed-eater line and think you may find this hard to work with at best.

19. Lowes, HD and such. Cheap coated wire like for building Crawfish traps or fencing around a garden. It's like a plastic coating over wire. $20 will buy a huge roll. Using it for a 12'X12' area now. It bends easy and last forever. You can build a frame around it or just cut and zip tie, staple it whatever. Good part is it's super strong.