Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by BadKittySmiles, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Also is there a reason you don't cover it in the oven? I always had in mind it's best covered

Sent from my SM-G973F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. A cover traps the moisture, so your herb would steam instead of bake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ohh yeah that makes sense as it has added oil unlike decarb .. thanks a bunch

4. Empirical testing.
    The decarb is done uncovered as the drier the material is the better the extraction is.
    Processing it didn't make any difference to the end product so I stopped messing with foil covers.
    Hundreds of batches and over 30,000 capsules made and consumed. You start to discard the stuff that doesn't affect the final results.
    I do two triple batches at a time for 90 capsules in each dish and up to four runs for the day. Even hand capping I can get 4-500 capsules filled before my hands just can't take any more and I'm to stoned to see the eyedropper.
    :)

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  5. Apologies if I was unclear. I do not use a cover at any point in the process. If you use a cover then you are trapping moisture and preventing the hot air from circulating so it can cook your herb evenly.

(edit) I looked back and see BadKat does recommend covering with foil, and this is her thread, so please take my advice for what it's worth. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. So you even decarb without it covered.. very interesting... you got very good patience dude I capped not even 100 yesterday and became irritable

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Ok thanks allot dude

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. That's why I ask I guess some people say cover some do not . What you say makes sense . But also maybe covering does keep some potency? It definitely helps with the smell if that's a problem for people

• Like Like x 1
  9. The boiling point of THC is 315F so there is no risk of "losing potency" in a 240F oven. If anything, proper decarb increases potency.

When you cover a dish in the oven, you are creating a steamer. Oven-steaming is used when you want to keep the food moist and tender, and prevent the food from getting too hot and turning brown. Have you ever cooked a lasagna or casserole? You cook it a long time with the lid on, so it steams in its own juices, cooks all the way through, and stays moist, then you uncover for the last few minutes so the cheese on top can turn brown.

By using a covered dish to decarb, you are steaming your herb in moist 212F air, instead of baking it in dry 240F air. I haven't done the science which method is more effective. Intuitively and without any evidence, I prefer the uncovered, dry-air method.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I talk with a few large scale extractors and they all claim the drier the material is the higher % their extraction rate is. So I simply followed their advice and who am I to argue with guys running 100x the amounts I do.

The processing I feel doesn't matter if it's covered as once submerged in oil the Kief doesn't lose anything in the short proceeding times I use.

Everything I do is outside in a toaster oven on the patio and it's a legal state so it doesn't matter how much I fill the neighborhood with the sweet smell of roasting cannabis. :)

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ok nice thanks so much for your help

12. Ok thanks allot man gonna try not covered the nextime for sure

13. @Chunk
    @RMJL
    If one of you would be so good as to cleanup this mess I'd sure appreciate it.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  14. I reported it also

Sent with my new and improved pet rock v7.9

• Like Like x 1
  15. I see in the recipe you havent used jello? Why is this

16. BadKat has not been by in a long while and I doubt you'll get an answer from her.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I seriously wonder if BKS is still alive

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Like Like x 4
  18. OMG she lives!!

Kat Smiles

(Long time follower, signed up to gc just for this thread)

• Like Like x 3
  19. #3959 Tokintb12, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Does anyone have a link to the Canna Oil recipe in this thread please? I had a link a while back but just doesn't seem to be linking back. Thanks.