Backyard Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Thnx :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. I got my small piles turned yesterday. I’m not going to have a lot of finished compost since it’s smaller bins but it looks good.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thnx again timj, that app is really good!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Probably another materials hike this morning if I can ever get vertical. I’m still topping off that Giobin instead of letting it go but that ones got a while to go.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I ran my Geobin bins contents through the chipper/shredder one last time. It looks good to go now. I ended up with about 2/3 of the bins volume in finished compost.

• Like Like x 2
  6. E62BADBB-50E7-48F9-9573-E1470F863CCA.jpeg I made another planter from the tank of an old toilet. I’ve another and the roots find the ground pretty good. I’m just going to toss in greens, coffee and then finish filling it with G/Bs by May 1 and let it go until my July pumpkin or photoperiod plantings and use it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. That’s a Wicked Pissah planter!
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. We were talking leaf mold in another thread earlier. I gathered some today and as you can see, I'm blessed to have a lot of it, even in May after I've been getting it for months. 20210508_165028.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  9. I was just finishing up the Compost and Mulch chapters with my slow progress thru the “Teaming With Microbes” book. For anybody interested in composting, these chapters and his other composting articles are really informative.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Is it a good read? I mean in the sense of being fun/easy to read, not just informative? Been meaning to pick up a copy but wasn’t 100% sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  11. I was digging through my leaf pile and came upon this beauty:

IMG_2219.JPG

I just love little fungi like these, and seeing them in MY leaves makes my heart happy. Just knowing I’ve got this kind of microbiology going on gives me a sense of fulfillment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. All of his writings are good, including his stuff that’s local in Alaska. These books are really good, tho they get a little technical at times. I’ve been slow at them but learning a lot.

13. Do any of you use shellfish in your compost? Neighbor had a crawfish boil and I asked them to save any leftover shells. Figured I could at least try.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hell, you might score a stew and some compost with that. This is an interesting question and I’m curious too.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Absolutely. I use crab shells and smash them in a 5 gallon bucket with a sledge hammer. Then dump in compost. I also use fish guts/skin after a catch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Thanks! That helps me with figuring out "how am I going to crush these?" 5 gallon bucket and sledge hammer it is! Do you let them dry out a bit first before crushing them?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nope. Smash, dump, bury in there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Perfect! I just started a new pile a few days ago. I'll crush and dump them in when I turn it in a few days. Thanks again Crazy!

• Like Like x 4
  19. The blender works really well for shrimp ‘heads’. You almost make a slurry then dump it in the pile.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  20. You may want to fence in your pile, because it gonna attract all kinds of critters.

• Like Like x 2