Backyard Composting

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Aug 23, 2013.

1. #2721 CrazyGardener, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Hot composting using the method @TimJ suggested. I usually finish a batch in 30 days.
    IMG_20210326_082050373.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Anybody know what this is? And i pray that it’s ok for compost. I’ve got a couple of patches and the green looked so good. It’s easy pickings too.

I can’t see to take pics with this pad as the glare and my eyes make it guesswork.

Can we smoke this stuff man?

3. Dammit I never remember to put pics in. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. That grows in my yard. Its super invasive and I have been told its from the Horseradish family. Like wild Horseradish. I get it pooping up in my container soil quite often. In fact I have a little guy showing right now, I will take a pic tonight. Its pretty easy to deal with in a container, they easily just pull out roots and all. Outside, where the roots have rocks and such to grab onto its a little harder to pull.
    Before that scares ya away, from a nutrient profile standpoint, it contains all the good stuff.
    This was from a google search, "It contains potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus which along with very volatile oils makes it quite a pungant plant."
    Horsetail is way more invasive than this stuff, IMO.
    Invasive or not, since they both grow in the yard, I compost them both. Maybe this year I will do the best job ever at building a perfectly hot pile and not see any carry over into my soil.
    I haven't checked yet, but the big concern is to look to see if it is Allelopathic. (sp?)
    hth
    cheers
    os

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. @dobro49
    This is what the wild horseradish looks like in the seedling stage. (If that’s what it really is). It pulls out whole with no worries.
    I did a little web searching, and there are some thoughts that it may be allelopathic with regards to seeds germinating. But no adverse effects on plants once they are at the seedling stage and beyond.
    Cheers
    Os

• Informative Informative x 4
  6. I’ve been digging thru online and wondered if it’s wild or “opium lettuce”, lettuca ? I’m going to check for the milky discharge tomorrow. I picked a bunch of it and added it to compost with brown leaves. It’s a very moist plant with a thick stem. I may try to pot one tomorrow and watch it for a while.

The only thing with the lettuce theory is I read that it can get tall in its 2nd year and I haven’t seen anything like that around. I’m leaning more to what you think OS.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. I know what you have is what I have. I am relying on Grannie Sinse for the identification. She walked right up to it, picked some, broke the stem and smelled it and is certain that’s what it is. However, she is up there in years, but she was real sure. I think the real test would be to dig up a root and give it a look and maybe a taste and a good sniff. Mine is under 5’ of snow still, so it will be a minute before I get a chance. I have one that grows next to my compost piles and it gets giant. It comes back every year.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  8. #2731 TimJ, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    We have it around here too Os. I just couldn't remember what it was named until now.

• Like Like x 7
  9. The moment I saw the flowering pic, I knew that was it! After reading how the seeds are viable for 80 years and a plant can have up to 60000 seeds, I am never letting one go to seed again. I also think maybe I’m doing a better job of hot composting than I think. I have a monster that grows in the space between compost cages, and every fall, that whole plant goes in a pile, not to mention all the seeds that fall directly in.
    Tim you never fail to amaze me with your broad knowledge of things. It makes for the best conversations!
    Cheers
    Os

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. I have it all around my compost bins, exactly right OS. After what you said about the seeds, I’m going to try and keep it away from my beds but it will be hard as they are close by.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The Giobin is still running around 60. I’m in no hurry on it but just surprised. I plant to turn it this week and may toss in some more greens to the center.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 4
  12. I have a few of those apps.Some are better than others. Sometimes, I remember common plant names or a quick search and we know.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Hey timj, which app do you like best? Or do you have your own?:)

• Like Like x 2
  14. The one I have on my phone now is PlantNet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1