Are both ‘High Ideas’ and ‘Philosophy’ interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Smokesignals420, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Maybe you have the idea to put mayonnaise on a pizza, that isn’t quite philosophical. But there is still quite a lot of overlap.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Negative...! one is fact prooven.. the other marginal stoner science (under the influence most times)

• Like Like x 1
  3. I think being high can sometimes lessen the power of the ego and quiets the mind (in part short term memory) and gives people the liberty to think beyond their paradigm, which is when they might start noticing peculiar things. Those things can definitely can dip into philosophy that they otherwise don't consider. They can feel profound because they don't usually consider things in such a way.

I don't think your example would qualify as philosophy, but when your mind is quiet you also allow the space for art/creativity/imagination, which is closer to where I would categorize something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 GreeneCaps, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Either you’re joking (‘cause you’re high), or you just think too highly (no pun intended) of “high ideas” & too lowly of philosophy (either ‘cause of a lack of information [honestly, bro, no offense] or prejudice).

“High ideas” have only impacted those peculiar sort of impressionable people who’re “under the influence,” while philosophy has influenced & impacted virtually every aspect of Western academia & society (if one has done some research, they’d know that).

From science, the basis for the “scientific method” was literally laid by a philosopher, namely, Aristotle (ever heard of him?); to mathematics, wherein Platonism is still the dominant school of thought until this day (& which is traceable back to Plato, who was a philosopher); to psychology, the word “psychology” was first defined & used by the philosopher Christian Wolff; to politics, America’s forefathers were influenced by John Locke’s political philosophy (the phrase, & the belief that everyone should be entitled to, “the pursuit of life, liberty, & happiness” is taken from Locke’s philosophical belief that all human beings have the natural right to “life, liberty, & property”).

& each of these fields of knowledge, & even different ones, have been influenced & impacted by philosophy in more ways that I’ve chosen not to elaborate on (otherwise my post will be too long [my simplified explanation should be able to get the point across, though, at least for the most part]).

If it wasn’t for philosophy, our modern life could’ve never came to be what it is; but the same definitely can’t be said for “high ideas.” So, yeah, there’s a huge difference between the two (although I’ll grant that there isn’t much of a difference between “high ideas” & amateur attempts at philosophy).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1