Anyone serious about starting a commune and living off the grid?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Marijuatheist, Jan 30, 2011.

1. It's my Sig. I deleted it the first time by accident lol

I think we all have that special whore somewhere in our lives.

2. The enduring dream, living off the grid in a commune. A lot of the hippies tried it, and not many stuck together for long.

I don't live off the grid, but I'm way the hell out at the end of it. Great way to live, but lots of hard work, and it takes some money too.

3. I myself would love a off the grid community but based in the woods or near mountains. Idealy in the woods set and at the base of mountains would be just beautiful.

Any survival books that teach you different skills for trapping, fishing, cultivating, gathering water, building shelters, etc. They are plentiful and not hard to find with a quick search.

Location is everything. I'm originally from Northern Ontario, and there is enough land up there to get something going. Also, due to the relatively close location to both woods (hunting) and lakes, meat would be easily obtained. 

As for the farming, we would need HARD workers. Basically for a family of 4, you need roughly 1.5 acres of farmland, so if the commune grew to ~20 ppl, the required farmland would grow to about 7.4 acres, 50 ppl = 18.75 so on and so forth.

This site puts out free survival books every day (I borrowed the idea myself for stoner books) - http://shtfdashboard.com

6. #86 HugeEgo, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    Honestly I haven't been camping since 2012 and even then the highway was only like 300 metres away, We had a fire going, their was a dead kangaroo rotting down the river that you got a smell off when the wind picked up ! so it still counts damn it !

anyway for this reason I can't see myself living of the grid but I would love too own a small rural property one day, I could grow my own veggies and fruit, fuck maybe I could even get a cow,  that would be so cool ! I love cows !

At any rate, if I could do that at some point in my life i'd be very happy,

I do intend on going on a lot of camping trips next year hell maybe i'll start towards the end of this year, I've just got a few things that need to get sorted first, 

7. Sounds like a sweet life style for me I've been wanting to get away from society for a while I'm very interested

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I hear you on that. I am tired of most other people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. This is more of a homesteading thing than a survival situation.

10. I understand that I'm very interested I want to be apart of something like that I can contribute to skills

11. It's also good for learning skills together. I myself need to learn some but this would be so nice for learning real skills.

12. It is until you need something essential - like a doctor.

I’d make a great hermit. I make everything I can from scratch or as time allows. We live on a deD end road in 35 acres and wouldnt ever ever ever EVER want to move - but I’ve gotta say I do enjoy my electricity.

Other than that I’m all for it. Communes dont seem to work for very long though - homesteading is where its at. You don't need to rely on anyone but yourself.

I think theres a whole lot more to it than most folks think/realize tho. It takes an incredible amount of gardening- wnd we do a fairly large sized organic plot - to come up with very much food but to last the entire year until a year from your harvest? Thats a whole lot of food.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I was driving through Vernon, British Columbia this year to visit a property I own and typically, the sights out there are freaking gorgeous, its amazing... Well, as I am coming into Vernon, I see the biggest tent city I ever saw in my whole damn life, its fucking huge... Its an eye sore, I mean I understand people need to sleep somewhere n shit, but they put it in a very visible area, almost as a reminder. It was basically a Commune, although I dont know how they are eating, I imagine they dont know either.

14. There was a group where I used to live that started their own little commune and I thought about joining. That is until I spoke with the property owner who informed me they were actually a non-denominational church, all new residents are automatically members of said church but there's no preaching or anything and they give all their human waste to gnomes in the forest who provide the power to the property. I decided that sounded more like a cult and I'm not interested in joining a cult I didn't start myself. As an ordained Dudeist priestess, I volunteer for a non poo gnome commune

~Living Dead Queen of the Night~