Anyone serious about starting a commune and living off the grid?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Marijuatheist, Jan 30, 2011.

1. well I've lived in florida too long. I would freakin die up there. We need to meet in the middle. like goldielocks

2. are u guys not concerned that same laws will apply to u as it is everywhere else in the country ur in??

3. and i think that at the beginning this community will have to work as in communism, everyone will do or make something and he will get what he needs from others and there will be no money :smoke:

4. I'd be interested in doing this. Too bad I'm only 18, finishing high school, and jobless. x[

5. All you have to do is work at the commune, we don't need money. If we are living off the land, hunting/gathering/farming, there will be daily work to keep everyone busy.

6. Yep...when I was a young whippersnapper I could have. My military training included survival on an island with half a chute and a knife...:D

I did great, but today, with SLE eating me up, I couldn't, no matter how much I would like too.:(

7. I had an idea once of getting a book deal to do a modern adaptation of Walden, and actually do what he did (modernized slightly).

8. I would love to do something like this but... nobody is commited! its so easy to say that your down but when it comes time nobody would come through. I love how the guy started a thread then didnt bother to post again in it lol And about that whole do plants have feelings thing... Energy is always transformed, never destroyed so were all the same thing in reality so.... does it really matter?

9. Yeah wtf is with that plant guy? I wonder if he realizes what happens when you....you know....smoke weed.....

10. I'm not going but I can give you lots of advise. I live in rural Maine an cold and unforgiving place in winter. I have always studied self-reliance and survival skills. Not just watching SurviverMan either. I mean i have books on this stuff. I am also a licsenced hunter trapper and fisherman. I also work as a mechanic and as a gunsmith as a hobby. Basically any information on making it in the outdoors you want to know just ask.

11. I spent several months living off the grid with some folks after graduating high school and let me tell you its not easy and its definitely not as romantic as all that, after a summer I was more than ready to throw in the towel and I have extensive wilderness survival skills (hunting, fishing, growing food and building weather proof structures).

I wouldn't choose the Canary Islands. And I definitely wouldn't go so far off the grid where you couldn't get help of you needed it. Why don't you buy an old cabin or farmhouse out in the woods and set up there?

Good luck to you, your gonna need it if your serious about this.:smoke:

12. I actually appreciate this post. Thanks. As far as the buying a farm house/cabin, I've had the idea to just find an abandoned house and use that. There are actually laws about squatting, and I know it's possible to eventually own what you squat in if you do certain things like improving the place and so on.

13. Dick Proenekke did it for 30 years. Built his own cabin. He did get supplies every now and then, but they had to be flown in. And that didn't happen more then once a year.

The only reason he evntually came out, like most people that do this, was because he was just getting too old to take care of himself.

Personally, out in the bush is were I want to die. I hope no one ever finds me and the animals scatter my remains.

14. While we're on the topic, does anyone have some recommended reading for this sort of thing?

15. I don't recommend an island.

16. I was going to start something like this only it was more like hogwartz.

Only instead of teaching magic we'd just smoke alot of dope.

17. Communal living is the future. Once our structurally flawed society completely fails, everyone will be forced to provide for themselves. Living in a commune makes so much more sense then our modern day rat race. Individuals working essential jobs to prolong the life of the community, instead of everyone working meaningless jobs for status and unnecessary petty things.

To anyone who is interested in joining a commune, they are everywhere. Intentional Communities - ecovillages, communes, cohousing, coops
    Literally, see how many are in your backyard. Also, if you are not sure this is for you, visit a commune before making the switch.

A little food for thought to all those plant skeptics out there. Plant perception (paranormal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

18. im down..im 19 have many skills and im willing to give up my current life for natures sake to be 1 with the land.

its fun to talk about and everything..but whos gonna actually get off there stoned asses get off the computer and start this shit

19. #59 Arcona, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011

Some guys actually have the balls. Chris McCandless(photo below) did it. Mind you he starved to death, but he really didn't know what he was doing. And he was alone.

[​IMG]

Dick Proenekke did it alone for 30 years in Alaska.

[​IMG]

It can be done, I mean humans have been doing it for over 200,000 years. We have just grown soft in a modern society. All you need is the will and some knowledge.

I wouldn't be opposed to going into civilazation once or twice a year for supplies, especially if I do this somewhere the winters are harsh.

________________________________________________________________________________

Camp Backcountry

20. like i said im completely willing and able and confident about my survival

i just doubt that op is gonna follow through with this plan