Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

ANY TIPS? First Time Making Cannabutter

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by SpillTheGlitter, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Hi Friends,

I’m about to make cannabutter for the first time to use in a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I’m wondering if you have any tips or advice or if you can answer the following questions. Please note: I’m making the cookies for my grandpa who has chronic back pain and lately has had loss of appetite and I’m hoping this will make him feel a little better. He has never smoked or tried edibles before so I don’t need them to be overly strong or anything but I want them to be strong enough. I plan to use a 1/2 oz with 4 sticks of butter. This way I’ll have about 2 sticks for the cookies and 2 sticks leftover to keep on hand.

• Is it really necessary to decarb in the oven beforehand? I’m finding conflicting information about this. Some say it’s not necessary if you’re making butter. Others say your butter will be boring without it, etc.
    • If I should decarb, at what temperature should I bake and for how long?
    • If my recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter (or 1 cup), is that how much cannabutter I should use when making the cookies or should I use some cannabutter and some regular butter? In other words, if I were to use a full cup of cannabutter and no regular butter, will the cookies be too potent or not necessarily?
    • I plan to either use the double boiler-type method over the stove or cook in a small crockpot. Any suggestions on which method to use and/or how long to cook it for? Would you recommend using or not using water in either method?
    • Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted butter?
    Any other tips or suggestions you have are much appreciated! Thanks so much for your help!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Without decarbing, the cookies will be weak.
    Before doing anything else, decarb @ 240 F for 40 min.

Not straining out the herb will allow you to make cookies very easily, and they will be more potent than using strained oil.
    Each gram of flower will contribute about 160 mg thc to the finished product, assuming good 15% herb.
    First decide how many cookies and what potency you want.

Here's an example to make 40 x 10 mg THC cookies.
    Herb = (400 mg THC)*(1 g herb)/(160 mg THC) = 2.5 g herb
    1. Decarb 2.5 g herb @ 240 F for 40 min.
    2. Grind to fine powder.
    3. Add herb and 3 g lecithin to the oil of any cookie recipe or box mix.
    4. Bake mixture for 40 min @ 220 F.
    5. Finish the recipe.

I make 10 gram cookies that each contain about 1/4 g herb, and I can taste weed, but in the above example each cookie has only 0.06 grams, and won't have much herb taste.

Making strained butter first is 50-80% efficient, and much more work.
    This is 100%.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 OldUR, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Some will leave their tea bag in for longer than the 3-5 minute recommended time, even until the cup is done, than use the same bag for a second cup. Does it extract more caffeine? Sure, but the compromise is astringency and loss of flavor.

Same thing here. My personal preference is to use enough product to compensate for the loss and strain before using the butter. Better mouth feel. Better flavor.

IMO, if efficiency (getting every last bit of THC) is your goal, make capsules for your medication. Then make a batch of cookies using normal butter for those munchies.

Except for the straining, I agree with everything bkarnaze says. Add to that, never use water. It’s an unnecessary step that will only shorten the shelf life of your butter. Better yet, use unsalted Ghee instead of normal butter. Also, I’d suggest two hours at 160 degrees as a starting point for your infusion.

Good luck to you and your Grandpa.

oops! edited than to then

4. Thank you so much for the reply!

5. Thanks so much!! I appreciate it!!

6. Is it really necessary to decarb in the oven beforehand? I’m finding conflicting information about this.
    Yes decarb first 240 F for 40 minutes uncovered

Some say it’s not necessary if you’re making butter. Others say your butter will be boring without it, etc.
    They don't know what they are talking about
    If I should decarb, at what temperature should I bake and for how long?
    240 F for 40 minutes uncovered on a cookie sheet in the oven
    If my recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter (or 1 cup), is that how much cannabutter I should use when making the cookies or should I use some cannabutter and some regular butter? In other words, if I were to use a full cup of cannabutter and no regular butter, will the cookies be too potent or not necessarily?
    Either way works
    I plan to either use the double boiler-type method over the stove or cook in a small crockpot. Any suggestions on which method to use and/or how long to cook it for? Would you recommend using or not using water in either method?
    Thermostat controlled Oven in a metal dish, no water. A toaster oven is what I use.
    Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted butter?
    Either works but butter takes a full 2 hours to be felt. Coconut oil hits in half the time.

Rather then making a HUGE amount of oil and cookies trying to figure his dose make a single gram and see if he even likes the feeling before you make a half ounce worth of weed and oil he may not even like.

Decarb 1 gram ( about the size of your pinkie finger tip )
    Grind it to dust.
    Mix with just enough butter to make mud.
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Chill till hard
    Now that little blob is about 150 milligrams of THC
    Quarter it and again and again

10mg is the starting dose.
    Wait 2 hours
    If he didn't feel anything
    Take 20mg more
    Wait 2 more hours
    If not stoned
    Take 40mg more
    Wait 2 more hours

Continue doubling the amount and waiting until it works.
    While slow this is the safe way to find his dose without going way over and making him so sick he'll never touch Cannabis again in his life.
    BE CAREFUL with the elderly and edibles.
    I supply RSO to cancer patients and most are as old as I am or more and this is how I work them all up.

Sandwich the dose between 2 crackers and some peanut butter if the patient find the taste objectionable.

BNW