Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. What step are you using this for? The cheesecloth or the coffee filter or something else?

2. [quote name='"dragonparty"']

What step are you using this for? The cheesecloth or the coffee filter or something else?[/quote]

Both cause a tiny bit of plant matter doesn't bother me. It's six pieces of screen overlaped as fine as I can get it

3. Try the paper coffee filter. you can get a really good GOLD dragon which taste good.

BTW, the honey drops are yummy. No burn at all and works fast under the tongue!

• Like Like x 2
  4. I want to apologize to everyone, especially dragonparty, for being a fool. If you're looking for his rough draft of the recipe, I asked to take it down for now, which was a mistake because he made sure it was noted as a rough draft. I admit that I freaked out because I was frankly overwhelmed and leaped before I thought.

This thread has taken off like crazy and I wasn't prepared for it. I've always had to respond to my own threads to get any movement at all. I've been sitting here for hours responding and editing and I guess I'm tired-but enjoying it. The problem is that I haven't taken the time for a smoke or another shot of tinc.
    I'm going to take store run for a while and should be refreshed when I return. I'll respond to everyone when I return.

Dragonparty, if you read this, I'm sorry, buddy. You deserve as much credit for this thread as I do and anything you want to add is welcome. If you can still access it, please repost it. :hello:

• Like Like x 2

5. I am of the same opinion about glycerin and coconut oil. If I had one product to make, it would be coconut oil. Of course, I would like to use this GD transfer to make it with instead of cooking my weed. It has so many more uses and can even be sublingual.

For me, glycerin leaves a lot to be desired. While it does work great for pain or sleep or other symptoms, I don't catch a good buzz. I will admit that I haven't taken the time to titrate the dose and that could be the problem. But it sure works on the pain.

Because it's the topic of this thread, you'll be reading versions of this statement throughout. The great part about this process is that you can use the GD to make just any little thing your heart desires, within reason. I use the majority of each batch to make coconut oil since I use it both topically, in drinks and recipes and capsules. I'm not sure I could live without it, at least not as well.

• Like Like x 1

6. There's no need to make just one product from all that tincture. With that much, you'll have enough to try out multiple mediums. And if you do decide to use it all for oil, do it in increments instead of making that much oil at once. Even though coconut oil is good for a long time, the GD will store better whether on the shelf or in the freezer. Again, I suggest making a small batch of the potency in this recipe and then transfer that to coconut oil to try out. After that, you'll have the knowledge to adjust your potency of your transfer up or down.

You're focusing your attention on the wrong solvent, at least for this thread. Here we'll learn the techniques for our base upon which everything else in linked, including adjusting the potency for various purposes. Learning how to do this right will unlock the doors to other possibilities. Just ask dragonparty. So instead of thinking 3 oz to a quart of oil, think of 3oz to a quart of Green or Gold Dragon and then figure out your potency for the actual amount of oil you wind up using. I'm hoping that folks will see this with the importance I put on it once they can see how you can do all the traditional cannabis things, from hash oil to brownies and all others (not sure about citric acid yet but working on it).

Let me explain something that will come up once I post the recipe, but since Maryed Man has brought it up, I'll try to address here a little. The net volume of this recipe is based on 2 runs, each with the same timetable, for a total of 3 days approximately. There's no change in potency I've been able to detect between the first and second runs. I combine the two before I reduce it down by half. I do that because it doesn't really take much longer and I don't have to get all the equipment together to do it again later. Now, some of my volume measures are general. If I say that an oz of weed per pint of Everclear , it actually is going to be around 12oz instead of 16. That's because the reefer takes up some of the room. For a pint jar, a 750 ml bottle of liquor is perfect for 2 runs. For this recipe using a quarter ounce, the volumes are accurate.

If you just want to do one run, you should get a net total of approximately 12 fluid ounces of concentrated alcohol extraction at 2oz/per qt jar. I suggest that you make this recipe first as is and then you'll be an expert, honestly. It's easy from there.

Had keyboard issues so this took awhile. Hopefully I didn't lose any of it.:D

• Like Like x 2
  7. #27 PsychedelicSam, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014

I haven't mentioned lecithin here because you won't be using it for the Green Dragon, which is what this thread is about. BKS and others cover the pros of lecithin, especially for baked goods and increase bioavailability and I didn't want to go too far off topic. :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  8. [quote name='"PsychedelicSam"']

I haven't mentioned lecithin here because you won't be using it for the Green Dragon, which is what this thread. BKS and others cover the pros of lecithin, especially for baked goods and increase bioavailability and I didn't want to go too far off topic. :smoke:[/quote]

I understand that but he was talking about a glycerin tincture I think and I believe he was worried about potentcy so I thought I'd mention it lol.

9. No, no, that's no problem. I had been talking to him about various things but lecithin hadn't come up yet. Considering this is a thread about the GD as well as things to do with it, anything involved in those transfers is worth mentioning. If I get enough good questions, I'll try to create an FAQ section. Thanks for mentioning it. My goal is education and every little bit helps.

I guess it's time I buckled down and got that basic recipe up. While the game's on hopefully.:rolleyes:

10. #30 PsychedelicSam, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    As promised, here's the equipment list.

2 half pint Mason or Kerr jars with lids
    Cheesecloth or other bulk filtering material such as silkscreen, clean white t-shirt, pantyhose, etc.
    Mesh coffee filter
    Paper coffee filter.
    Potato ricer or other press. You can also use a wooden spoon handle if needed.

Note: If you have a mesh coffee filter, the filtering material listed above is not needed.
    Double boiler set up near ventilation and away from any flames. This could include a crockpot or saucepan or electric rice cooker with a stainless steel bowl that fits in the opening. This step can easily be modified for various scenarios.
    A couple of midsize glass or ceramic bowls (preferably) to use as catch basins.
    A glass measuring cup probably would come in handy.
    And that's it. Simple so far, heh? It doesn't get any harder.

dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 4
  11. #31 PsychedelicSam, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Jeez, I'd hoped to avoid this topic for a while or altogether, but it was thrust upon me. This is the only time I want to mention this and then move on.

Anyone who has checked out my threads has seen that they are not well accepted by some respected members. I don't know why. They're different from what people are seeing on here these days, but they're not new. I may put my own touches on something but every one of my threads, except maybe the baklava idea, came from previous GrassCity premium members who were here and posting long before those current blades were here. Apparently they moved on to other pastures but most of their ideas remain. I've tapped those and others.

The reason I'm bringing this up is in the hopes that someone who comes on here will give us the benefit of the doubt. I say us because it's not just me saying this anymore. There are now other current members who've also had success and more coming on board and the integrity of each of us is being questioned.

I ask that if you see on some other thread that the Green Dragon freezer method doesn't work and is a waste of time and material, please keep an open mind and read the positive (and negative if you can find them) posts associated with this. If you have any uncertainties, express them. We're definitely not going to twist your arm. If you're truly interested and have a mind of your own, give it a try, but only if you can afford to do it. No pressure.

I plan on making this the last word on this issue. I won't allow a flow of negativity here that often hijacks these threads. I won't respond to any negative posts about me or my posters and will do my best to get you ostracized. By negative, I'm talking about name calling, questioning someone's sanity, etc. Maliciousness, if you will. Give me all the criticism you want and I will attempt to address it and possibly incorporate it, but at least we're having an intelligent discussion. Welcome.

And in closing, for those of you insisting this method is bogus I throw down the gauntlet. I challenge you to make this Green/Gold Dragon tincture using the instructions here, my instructions mind you. If you do and still have the same feelings, I'll be more than willing to listen to you. I'm not perfect. Until you've walked the walk, don't talk the talk, though.

'Nuff said.

dragon3 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Well put my friend. I'll be here if you need any kinda testimony lol :)

I just ate two oatmeal cookies with 2g a piece in em today is gonna be a good day.

• Like Like x 2
  13. #33 PsychedelicSam, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013

Whoa, that should do you.  :smoking:  Thanks for your support.

• Like Like x 1
  14. #34 PsychedelicSam, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    :hello: Green/Gold Dragon Recipe :hello:

DECARBOXYLATION:

Bake 7g herbs @ 240F for 40 minutes. New data:Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it If using seeded pot, cleaned weight should equal 7 grams.

FREEZE:
    Place the decarbed 7g herbs in sealed Mason jar into the freezer for 24 hours.
    Also place a pint of Everclear or other 190+ proof alcohol in freezer for 24 hours.
    After 24 hours add 90ml/3fl oz to a Mason jar with herbals. Shake aggressively for 5 minutes.
    Place back in freezer for 2 hours and then shake again for another 5 minutes.

1. Using a mesh coffee filter or cheesecloth, clean t-shirt, pantyhose or other fine weave, clean material, place in or line a funnel and pour the solution through it into a clean container and press using a silicone spatula or other utensil. Place the pressed plant material back into the jar for a rinse with fresh, cold alcohol. The jar of material does not have to go back into the freezer. After straining through the initial filter, set it aside until the 2nd run, the rinse, is complete.

2). The 2nd run can be done with no further waiting since it is only a rinse but my test studies have shown that you increase your potency by 25-30%. Using 3fl oz of fresh, freezing cold alcohol, pour it into the jar of material and shake for five minutes. Strain your material as well as possible then add the alcohol solution to the first run solution.

If you don't have a mesh coffee filter or a way to press it, place a square of cheesecloth or other material over your fresh container, being sure to allow enough on each side to fold over the ball. After you've strained the weed, you can dispose of the leftovers as you see fit. If you don't have a press, cut the cheesecloth large enough so that you can pull the corners together and use a wooden spoon handle to wrap them around and then twist. You don't have to squeeze like crazy because the alcohol drains well.

3. Place a paper coffee filter in a funnel or other setup. There are examples in the video and picture guides. Pour your solution into the filter until it's full. Keep filling it until it all filters through. You might have to move the filter around to find fresh spots in the filters. Those husks really gum it up but it's worth the time. You'll get a nice clear Green/Gold Dragon. Of course, you can always filter it again if you're a perfectionist.

REDUCE

Now we're ready for the main event, concentrating the extraction by reduction of the alcohol.

1. Set up your double boiler configuration away from flame or other open heat sources. Use a fan for ventilation. If using an electric range, be sure your vent fan is on high. The more ventilation the better. While there won't be the concentration of vapors there would be for larger quantities, there's still enough to cause a flash fire if not careful.

2. Have the heat source for your double boilers at a level that causes a gentle boil in the water. If you're using a crockpot where the water may not boil, just put it as high as you can. If you use an electric rice cooker that only has one temperature, just keep an eye on it so it doesn't go beyond the desired level. If you don't have a double boiler set up, air evaporation will work, just slower

* If at all possible, your upper chamber(bowl) of the double bowler should fit snuggly in the lower portion a few inches above the water line. This is to prevent loss of steam and therefore water. If it's a loose fit, keep an eye on the water level and add more as needed.

3. Measure your combined haul from both runs. If you don't have a measuring device, you can mark a spot halfway down your jar and use that as your guide. As your tincture reduces, you can keep track of the level easier.

4. Add your dilute GD to the upper chamber/water bath and reduce it by half of the recovered volume. Up to 1/2 ounce will be lost with each run due to absorption and loss. Alcohol boils at a much lower temperature than water and thus will not damage the thc. Depending on your heat source, your solution may bubble a little bit, a rolling boil, or just swirls. What you want at minimum are the swirls. That shows there is action.

5. Finally, this recipe is designed to give you approximately 3 fluid ounces of concentrated Green/Gold Dragon tincture. So for the last step, reduce your solution by half, or down to your goal volume, which should be about 3 fl.oz for this size batch for beginners and bottle it. It is now officially ready to sample. There is a reduction guide for potency level a little further along.

And there you have it. I've tried to make the actual steps as simple yet concise as possible. And as stated previously, this recipe is pretty much designed for the novice, the beginner. It does not require a lot of marijuana that could be lost, anything is possible so it could happen. I don't advocate making this or any other cannabis product for the first time with your emergency stash. You don't have to have expensive pot or even buds. I want everyone to be comfortable within themselves with trying this.

Edit: Along the way between this written guide and the video I changed the final reduction from 3oz to 2oz. This increases the strength by about 1/3. When I originally wrote this the only edibles and tinctures were the DIY variety which naturally limited potency levels and just about everyone was a beginner. Once dispensaries started to spread with access to higher concentrated products, those coming to use this guide were wanting, and needing, higher strength products. So, we now reduce to 2oz from this 7g guide instead of 3oz.

• Like Like x 21
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. This is awesome Sam...thanks so much for taking the time. I'll print it out and give it a try when I have some time.
    Just one question so far....lid on for the reduction? How does that work? Forgive me if I missed something and am confusing myself...I blame the drugs (morphine) ;)

16. This works very well!

• Like Like x 1

17. I'm in the same boat most of the time. I'm not sure to what you're referring. You wouldn't want to have a lid for a reduction. I've looked thru the reduction portion center a couple of times and can't find anything about a lid. I'm not saying it's not. When you've been looking at something as long as I have this, sometimes you start seeing what you thought you wrote instead of what you did write. Scope it out for me and let me know and I'll fix it. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  18. For those just learning about tinctures, here's a link for a website that has a recipe very similar to mine and that I used as a guide. That's not why I'm posting it. Read the comments and you'll get a good idea of the broad range of uses for it.

Medical Marijuana Tinctures | Cannabis Tinctures

• Like Like x 4
  19. Here's another observation about something anyone trying this method will eventually wonder about.

You will notice after both runs through the alcohol that your pot is going to look exactly like it did when you started. It's a little disconcerting at first and raises some doubts about how much is actually being extracted. I use green pot usually so it's very noticeable. When you feel it after you're finished, it's crunchy like when you put it in the freezer. Having always made my cannaproducts using heat, I was used to seeing the leftovers as a smelly, slimy mess, but now it looks like it's ready to smoke.

That's an action of the ice cold alcohol. Instead of breaking down the plant material, it freezes and preserves it. None of the structure gets broken because the cold alcohol just melts and absorbs the trichomes attached to it. This is a very simplified version but I hope you get the point.

When you see it, though, you're going to wonder if it's got potency left even though 2 runs is supposed to deplete. I don't know if there's more in it. If so, I would think it would be of lower grade. If you want to try things with those leftovers, go for it. The purpose of this post was to make you aware that you didn't mess up somewhere along the process and start freaking out, thinking you did something wrong, even if your tinc knocks your socks off.

• Like Like x 3
  20. I feel that by having authored this thread, I am responsible for providing a more detailed dosing guide than I have to date. I admit to being a bit haphazard in my own dosing protocols. Because it is the nature of the beast, I have a tendency to apply an overly generous portion to make sure it works. A habit that developed over the years. So, I've been making general potency statements in terms of droppers, albeit only one or less. However, I realize that tinctures can and should be titrated to a proper dosing and in the area of tinctures, especially GD, droppers are too much. I now know that after being knocked out time after time after time. I haven't measured how many drops are in a standard dropper, but I've heard around 40.

Just a few minutes ago, I decided that I needed to provide more accurate dosing information and to do that, I put 8 drops of my raspberry flavored GD in a cup of tea. It was a perfect time because I hadn't smoked for a while and I was pretty straight so I'd be able to tell the effects without any other interference. Well, that was about 20 minutes ago. I have been attempting to write this as I've been getting off and I must admit that it is rather difficult. Each passing minute the rush gets greater. Right now it's starting to get trippy and very interesting. I have to say that this is the most pleasant experience I've had with it after all this time. I have had equally pleasant buzzes from the honey but I guess I've been drastically over medicating for recreational purposes. I mainly used it for transfer or sleep or pain, but now I have a whole new appreciation of it.

Time to quit talking and just sit back and enjoy it.....ciao.:smoking::hippie:

• Like Like x 10