Amazon defeats Unionization attempt

Discussion in 'Politics' started by VikingToker, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Amazon defeats historic Alabama union effort

Of the many issues that don't get the attention they deserve, I think this is one. What are your opinions on corporations and their power over their employees? I remember an argument of many people on the left when people on the right were being censored on social media platforms is that private companies should be allowed to do as they wish. Does that hold here, too?

2. you don't get to be the richest guy in the world, ..without stepping on other peeps wallets

GREED EXTREMIS Greed - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
  3. i think this is a big win for the workers, for Azon Inc, and consumers. the workers got it right. i think labor unions could be called labor cartels and their usefulness in Azon's business model is nil if not harmful, and a labor union would have negative impacts downstream, i.e. the consumer.

i have other opinions about organized labor but specific to the OP i think the workers got it right and perhaps we'll all hear more in 100 days or less.

4. My opinion is that, after having worked in a union for some years (18 years ago) that unions totally suck and if you don't like certain company rules and regulations then you don't work there - its that simple.

j

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Don't want to piss in bottles? Don't work here!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. #6 Possuum, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    there's that position and i agree. in this specific situation i think Azon has an opportunity to demonstrate the effectiveness of collective bargaining without the need for a Union mouthpiece. if it. works in AL each Azon hub could collective bargain for their specific demographic. otherwise, AL, like most all states, is a "right to work" state. Azon could fire whomever they want for whatever reason - the pendulum swings both ways - and only hire people as 1099's. if Azon does that in response to unionization it would have devastating impacts on the local economy and all its trickle down. the better objective would be to listen to the employees complaints and deal effectively with those complaints that wouldn't negatively impact the business model, such as peeing in a bottle isnt necessary. there are ways to get around that as simple as, "stop somewhere to pee and you wont be penalized".

I'd be likely to guess that a large part of the problems can be directly traced back to ineffective front line and unit managers (and idk what the gripes are). these managers/supervisors are in all likelihood inexperienced and ill trained for managing people in deadline driven, high operational tempo environments. managing people can be a learned skill but it's also an art form. unfortunately a lot of companies at the unit level have a philosophy of "ride that horse until it drops and go buy another horse". that's not a wise day-to-day management tactic or strategy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I agree they (Amazon) most likely need to stand back, take a breathe and understand that they've goldang done did it - they’ve become the driving force in consumer goods doing what they do and how theyve gone about it but that it would be in their best interest to listen to at least the real complaints and see what they can do to keep everyone happy - because happy workers produce more than slave driven workers -

but Union is not the answer. Not even vaguely.

J

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I'm curious as to what your solution would be.

9. 100% word! not even vaguely a solution. i can guarantee that the region/district/local management team is currently experiencing as intrusive an observation of their performance as one might expect to experience with a colonoscopy.

haha the people at Azon corporate are probably saying, "WTH is going on in AL!?!" . there will be management heads rolling after this fiasco.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. It’s not my job to provide solutions - I’m simply stating that unions aren't the answer. Unions are not a good thing, are usually politically driven and often crooked, they drive costs up which are then always passed on to the consumer.

A company can always take care of its employees without having a union making the calls. Its just up to them to do it.

Fuck unions. I worked for one long enough to know better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Just as I suspected, you haven't the slightest clue.

12. The threat of unionizing is enough to make changes within a company. Soon, there will be many changes made to amazon due to all of this media exposure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Amazon is in with the government so thats all u need to know and unions aint like they used to be

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. #14 jerry111165, Apr 10, 2021
    Edit: not worth the internet space.

15. #15 jerry111165, Apr 10, 2021
    Edit: this either.

j

16. #16 AugustWest, Apr 10, 2021
    Employers have absolutely zero power over their employees. (I speak of US employers.. Don't know about labor laws in other countries)

17. I contracted for Amazon in the past and found them a pleasure to deal with. Any of their employees I dealt with were evangelical in their devotion to the company. That said it was management I was dealing with rather than warehouse staff.

As for unions, it’s up to the workers to decide if they want a union and the workers have spoken in this instance and have rejected unions.

• Like Like x 2
  18. here's a decent piece on the voices of 2 "no" voters of the 1700+ that voted "no". the employees have spoken. notice in this article the mention of the RWDSU organizers starting all the action to begin with. if the majority of the employees are happy with how things are then the minority of employees need to look at themselves in the mirror and ask themselves if working at Azon the way Azon operates is how they want to earn money for their needs or not. it's really a simple equation to solve.

The Amazon union vote failed. 2 workers explain why they voted against unionizing.

perhaps someone can share an article representing the feelings of the pro-unionists. i haven't found any.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. double post

20. Interesting responses, thank you.