Aggressive small guy at the gym

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Jason Van Jason, Sep 2, 2017.

1. This pinner at the gym is beside me today. I don't use the term 'pinner' very often, but in this guys case, it is very relevant; he is SMALL. I'm 240, he is easily 120 pounds. Keep in mind, I'm not sizing this guy up; my career dictates that I cannot have a criminal record and that is far more important to me than any sort of encounter I could ever have with anybody.

Anyways, this guy has these little hand weights, I think they are a pound and he is shadow boxing, super sloppy, bad form, clearly has no idea what he is doing and probably doing it for the first time. Anyways, he is shadow boxing, but like, facing me while throwing punches. 5 feet away from me, i'm against a wall, he really has no business looking my way, but yet, here he is, at no point, facing any direction but mine, throwing shadow punches at me, staring me down intensely. He does this for a solid 3-4 minutes, before walking off and curling 10 pound weights, STILL staring me down from across the gym.

I've been in fights before and I know the second you begin envisioning fighting somebody in your head or even defending yourself, you begin to get defensive, so I tried my best to just ignore him, but now that I am home.. I just find it to be the strangest thing ever, like who does that? I found myself wanting to bait him into a fight while I was there, but he had a friend there as well who was just minding his business, but you know how the narrative can change quickly when the cops come and its your story vs. theirs, just not worth it.

Tell me about negative experiences at the gym you've had and what you did to resolve them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Little man syndrome is funny ain't it?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Shoulda winked and blew kisses at him, maybe bend over real hard in front of him.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Napoleon Complex

Lotsa smaller dudes suffer from it.

I know such a person.

It's actually pretty amusing to see them in action when you know their psychological profile.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I posted this in a different thread so Ill copy paste: There was almost a fight at my gym today. Absolutely hilarious. A guy was on the phone and was talking loud and some guy that didn't work there asked him to get off his phone (he was kind of a dick about it). I've never seen it in a gym and I feel obligated to share it. Their conversation when something like this:
    "Hey you should get off your phone"
    "What?"
    "Get off your phone"
    "Why?"
    "It's not a talking on phone gym take that somewhere else"
    "Do you need my head to workout?"
    "It's against the rules here, not that kind of gym"
    "Fuck off puto"
    "You're a little bitch"
    *opening and closing hands* "blah blah blah blah blah blah that's you"
    "You want to take this outside?"
    "Yeah let's go"
    *both of them stay where they are*
    "Tiny man"
    "Pussy"
    *guy walks away and the dude on the phone got back on his bench*
    *from across the gym* "hey maybe you should go down all the way on those reps buddy!!"
    Then I laughed out loud and dropped my weights and just went away. They both got asked to leave by the owner. You can't beat free entertainment.

Yeah yeah yeah every super tough gym bro is down to get in a fight until somebody gets in their face. Then is just "you swing" "no you swing" "no you swing" "take your shot bro" There's nothing to prove. Not worth it. I used to pick fights with people but then I turned 16. It's just boils down to insecurity, laugh those guys off and watch the steam fly out their ears.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Reminds me of a little Jack Russel Terrier who the owner named Armageddon. You should've seen this little thing go after all the big dogs in the hood. Somehow the little bugger got away with it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Funny you should mention these little terrors.
    Meet my girl Jackie. She takes crap from no one. She does protect my instruments though..
    IMG_0786.JPG

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. We use to have one too. When my wife was going through treatment she never left her side for those first 4 bed ridden days. Loyal beasts.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Not really gym as I've not been able to do any resistance stuff for years unfortunately, it's been on nights out in the past. I'm 6ft2 and there always seems to be someone a foot shorting giving attitude. I usually say something along the line of "Come back and chat to me when you stop buying your trousers from the kids section little fella". Works a charm.

• Funny Funny x 1

10. Next time you see him laugh in his face like this..
    vQ7RYW.gif

11. If that ever happens just ask him, "shouldn't you be in the woods baking cookies?" That's my personal favorite

12. I'm a short male. He sounds like a little weirdo for sure.
    Did you do something to make him act like that? Seems so odd for him to act so random.
    But some of the comments in this thread seem very insecure.

13. i be the bigger person hahaha and walkaway

hey maybe its that girls bf from the other post you had?

14. I'm just glad they didn't get into a fist fight :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. He is going to beat you up in a fight.

16. The guy has bad ettiquete for the gym I watched him get into a shouting match with an old Asian guy because the Asian guy was using one of the handles from the dual pulley system that slides up and down with the chin up bars up top.

Sent from my SM-J120W using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. some people just dont know how to act

18. #18 Praetorian, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    This is where it helps to have a good mental/shit talking game.

I'm barely 6' 175, work out cardio mostly with some strength, but when I want to put bass in my voice to get someone to move or comply, it generally works without any further necessity for aggression.

Of course it can't all just be based on pure aggression. One has to have actual facts and logic to back up what needs to be said. In the case of the gym dude it would have been a firm: "Hey man, can you give me some space when doing that? I'm against the wall and you're staring @ me from 5 feet away."

Most sane people would comply. If he doesn't, firmly let him know you have zero interest in further escalating this with him but will get management involved, as you are both on tape and everything you are saying to him, including his invasion of your space, has been recorded on tape already.

If he's twat enough to continue, and I'm not in a position where I can cripple him and get away with it legally, then I'm bringing the full wrath of management onto him, even if it only means him getting reprimanded and told to move.

19. There's always one (at least)... Every gym.

Politely tell him to respect your space. Sounds like he's just an attention whore.

20. I think I go to the only gym where everyone is nice and there are no fights. A guy once stopped me to advise me on better form, which was appreciated.

I do know one of the sales guys has a foot fetish though, cus my friends roommate was chatting with him on tinder and he wanted feet pics. But hey it's better than liking scat.