70% or 91% Isopropyl Alcohol

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by rawdney, Apr 19, 2021.

1. I’ve been using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for years to clean my water pipes. Now all of a sudden, all one can find around here is 70%. Don’t know if this is temporary or what. If I run out of the 91% and am forced to buy the 70%, will it clean as well as the 91%? What are your experiences?

2. How about 99% iso? That seems to be available on Amazon

3. If your state hasn't banned it yet use Denatured Alcohol.
    100% Alcohol.
    Found in the paint dept of most hardware.
    Listed as Marine stove fuel.

[​IMG]

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I have been using 70% for a long time. Just soak them a little longer. They get just as clean, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Try your local Stater Bros, they seem to be the only source currently for 91%.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Try your pharmacy and you might find 99%

7. I would think the alcohol ( Everclear ) 190 proof down to 160 proof would work .

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yes, it'll still work. I've cleaned pipes in 50% iso and they got perfectly clean.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I’ve always used 99% iso. Premium gas line antifreeze works well also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. My local cannabis shop/vape shop only sells what they call pure iso alcohol. It’s 99%

11. Spray 'em down with orange oil and let 'em soak. Leaves your glass sparkling clean. Organic (d-limonene) and smells wonderful.

Regular or High test.

Attached Files:

12. I’ve used 91% for years. But where I live the coronavirus made it hard to find any type. I found 99% on Amazon which works but I find it necessary to be really careful. I use latex gloves when cleaning with 99%.

13. Look up Formula 710 glass cleaner or other similar cleaners at your local head shop/tobacco shop. You can mix it 5-10% cleaner and the rest water and it still does an amazing job.

14. If you're using anti freeze, paint thinner, household cleaning products, you're a fucking idiot. Let's use some dangerous products then turn around, burn and smoke from it. Real smart idea.

Soak your pieces in alcohol and salt. Sea salt. That's it. Alcohol and salt. Let it soak 24hr in a ziplok. Every now and then give it a good shake for a minute or two. Next day it's spotless

15. I would agree with that. But there are cleaners specifically made for resin covered glass. They work better than anything else, including alcohol.

16. Premium gas line antifreeze, the stuff I only buy anyway, Is 98-99% isopropyl alcohol. It’s the same stuff.

17. Man they'll be people out there cleaning their stuff with methalayted spirits

18. Thanks for that. Only 3 places in this small town to even get Isopropyl Alcohol and I’ve never had any trouble finding 91% except at the beginning of the COVID stuff. No shortages for the 70% stuff. Not desperate yet, so I’ll wait and see if the 91% comes available again. I’d rather not order online as I imagine there would be a hazardous shipping fee.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Costco here here has 99% for cheap. I keeps nice supply on hand for when the mood strikes me.