3rd try at this spot

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by DeKind, May 12, 2020.

1. Thank you, It's my own fault. I should have maybe brought it in the air conditioning at night or something. I was surprised that water didn't bring it back, meh, oh well, I still have 8 seeds left from my seed purchase, maybe I will start another one inside or something, it's just the way it goes. When the rodent hit me for one of my plants and took a branch off of 2 others at my outdoor site, I never expected to get any. I expected he would be back to get them all. I should be happy with what I have gotten already I guess. I didn't reach my goal but if I harvest the rest with no issues, it will keep me stoned for months and it really didn't take that much effort growing outside. I spent most of my efforts trying to save them from the damn rodent, but it still beats paying for pot.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Update:
    Good News! I took another plant, it was the haze berry strain! It finished much quicker than I anticipated (pics 4-7). Also the American Pie strain (pics 1-3) is just about done too. I actually see a small bit of bud rot on one of the buds. I will probably take it within a day or two at the most. The last plant Ice strain (pics 8-11) is lagging, most of the tricolms are half white and half clear but it has mostly changed color. I won't give it too much longer. Here are pictures:

Pictures taken 9/26/20
    PIC_3361.JPG PIC_3362.JPG PIC_3363.JPG PIC_3364.JPG PIC_3365.JPG PIC_3366.JPG PIC_3367.JPG PIC_3368.JPG PIC_3369.JPG PIC_3370.JPG PIC_3371.JPG

3. #43 DeKind, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Update:
    I have taken the American pie strain plant. It looks perfectly done. I took it today 9/28/20. It is pictures 1-3 above. Only one more plant, Ice strain (pics 8-11 above) . It has changed color, tricolms have become mostly milky, still some half clear/ half milky. I don't see any amber ones but it is changing fast, they are much more milky than they were just 2 days ago. It shouldn't be much longer.

4. #44 DeKind, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Update: Okay, that's it, I took my final plant, the Ice strain today 10/2/20! (Ice Feminised Seeds).
    The tricolms have turned and it has changed color. This buds didn't get as big as the other strains but seems extremely dense, much heavier than the sativa stuff. It's all drying now but it feels extra heavy. This is a very different type of strain, it grew differently than all the others. I thought it was a dud, maybe a drawf or something but all I had to do was top it once and it just shot out branches. I just wish it would have grown taller but it seemed slow. It specifically says it grows outward in the description. This is a 90% Indica dominant strain. I highly recommend this strain for an indoor or outdoor grow. I can tell it's superior bud already. Also, another good thing is that it don't grow that many leaves, just big fat leaves, it will be easy to process that's for sure but mostly because the plant is just too damn small, :(

Overall I got some good bud but not nearly as much as I got in 2018 at this same spot. The reasons are varied but bottom line is, the plants didn't grow as big and tall. I expect to get maybe half as much as I harvested then. I will update this journal after its all dried out and make final notes. It's still a good spot, mostly because nobody has ever found it! I just need to fix some stuff before next season, mostly open it up to more light and make it impenetrable to gophers! Here are final picks of the Ice strain right before I cut it down.

Pics taken 10/2/20
    PIC_3372.JPG PIC_3373.JPG PIC_3374.JPG PIC_3375.JPG PIC_3376.JPG PIC_3377.JPG

5. #45 DeKind, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Okay, my bud is pretty dry and weighed. Below is the harvest totals. I got just over a pound. I should say that the plants just didn't grow as big and therefore the harvest was much less than the 2018 harvest. There will be a big difference in harvest amounts between a 4-5 foot plant and a 5-12 foot plants. My goal was 1000 grams this year so I came up far short of my goal, however, 1 plant got killed and branches off of other plants got eaten, also 1 plant just wilted and died. Hey, aim for the moon and settle for the stars, Ha! I should say that I took that first plant (sweet cheese) a little early, when I looked at the tricolmes in the late afternoon they looked amber but I think the sunset fooled me because when I got it home and looked under the light they were half clear and half milky with some all milky. I should have left it another few days but it is still very stony. All in all, I am happy with what I pulled out of this spot, even if it was much less than the 2018 harvest and less than half of my 2020 goal.

Harvest #3 2020
    Strain Successful seeds Yields
    American Pie-----------1--------------->120 Grams-----> 4.286 OZ
    Sweet Cheese---------1---------------> 88 Grams-----> 3.143 OZ
    Haze Berry--------------1----------------> 83 Grams-----> 2.964 OZ
    Ice-------------------------1----------------> 90 Grams-----> 3.214 OZ
    Peyote Critical----------1---------------> 83 Grams-----> 2.964 OZ
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total Harvest #3 '20---5------------> 464 Grams-----> 16.571 OZ ---> 1.036 LBS

I still think this spot is a good spot, I will need to cut some branches off of the shade tree to get more direct sun exposure. Also, a friend of mine gave me some free plastic ground cover that I can use to help make the site impenetrable to rodents. I'm feeling good about trying again next year. I don't want to try somewhere else because it's already set up, too much work to move it so it might as well get used. I think it was smart to grow different strains so it isn't all done at once. I think I will purchase some more seeds because I only have 8 seeds left. I will refer back to this thread for my next attempt to remember what I did right and what I did wrong. What needs to be done to get back to growing larger plants. I should also point out that this year was not a good growing year as far as sun. It was mild, never really got really intense sunshine like 2018 got, too many overcast days.

If you are interested here is my running total after 3 years growing at this site. The 2019 harvest died and I only got half done bud that I don't count as harvest because it never finished and some of it died on the plant from over watering. I should note that the strain "Critical" grown in 2018 was a different strain than the Peyote Critical strain featured in this grow journal, also the strain "Critical" was grown in smaller 5 gallon containers and not grown in the large garbage cans like the others in 2018.

Harvest #1 2018
    Strain successful seeds Yields
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sweet Cheese------1-----------------> 151 Grams-----> 5.393 OZ
    Critical-----------------2--(113+68)--> 181 Grams-----> 6.464 OZ
    American Pie--------1----------------> 216 Grams-----> 7.714 OZ
    Haze Berry-----------1----------------> 275 Grams-----> 9.821 OZ
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total Harvest #1 '18---5------------> 823 Grams----> 29.393 OZ----> 1.837 LBS

Grand Totals
    Harvest/Year Successful Seeds Yields
    Total Harvest #1 '18------5--------> 823 Grams-----> 29.393 OZ----> 1.837 LBS
    Total Harvest #2 '19------6-------> 0 Grams---Dead Bud Failure--Over Watered
    Total Harvest #3 '20------5--------> 464 Grams------> 16.571 OZ ---> 1.036 LBS
    Grand Total -------------16----------> 1287 Grams----> 45.964 OZ ---> 2.873 LBS

Also, I should say that I have had a chance to taste all the strains I grew if anyone is interested in my opinion of them, here:
    Sweet Cheese----> light taste, not raspy at all to smoke, not as strong as other strains. Good yields.

American Pie----> One of the best strains I grew, It grew in nice and thick with good yield. Very tasty and very stony. I smoked some right before I wrote this! :)

Haze Berry-----> Kinda leafy strain, processing takes a long time but it grows fast. Late bloomer. This was my biggest plant in 2018, it was a beautiful 10-12 foot plant that produced 275 grams! It really does have a bit of a berry taste that is pleasant to smoke.

Peyote Critical----> This is an Indica that is extremely stony. It really is zonker weed, I mean, it will put you to sleep. If you have trouble sleeping, get this strain, it will put you down and out. Chemical taste, and didn't yield as much as other comparable sized plants but 3 hits and you are done!

Ice---> This was an interesting strain to grow, didn't grow as large as other plants but the buds were very solid and dense. It's high quality weed if you don't mind the small size plant. It will produce more than comparable sized plants but grows really slowly. This would be good for an indoor grow I think.

My investment in this has been pretty minimal, I had 3 old garbage cans already and only had to purchase 3 more. I purchased the seeds in 2017 but some of my seeds got eaten by snails right after they sprouted, I'm not kidding! Also, I lost one seed, dropped it on the carpet never to be seen again, ooops, shit happens! In addition to this, 4 seeds failed to germinate. I still have 8 left but they are older now, I wonder if more will fail to germinate. I certainly need to buy more seeds before next grow season. I will continue to only get feminized photoperiod seeds for this. Also, the investment of time which I don't really like to calculate since I consider this a hobby but it probably still should be considered. I had to make more trips to the site in 2020 to try to save them from the gopher but still, I didn't spend a ton of time with this project.

Investment
    33 Seeds---(8 left)-----> $165
    3 Rolls of Net-----------> $ 65
    3 Garbage Cans-------> $ 70
    Drip Hose----------------> $ 40
    Misc-----------------------> $ 50
    -------------------------------------------
    Total Investment-------> $390