1st time scrogging. When should i flip to 12/12?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by psp1313, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Hello everyone. Happy Friday. I am doing a 2 x 4 x 5 tent scrog with 2 Super Critical Bud plants. Below are some pics. It’s been 7 weeks since I planted the seeds. I’ve fimmed and topped multiple times on the main stem as well as some branches. I would like some input of when anyone thinks I should be good to flip to 12/12. I know I will get different answers and will make a decision based on all your input. I do want to max out the space if possible. Thank you all in advance. 459B893A-9B91-4893-8E36-5B6477D4FF5E.jpeg F1C1971D-1DD2-4A66-8385-E934C6CDAD18.jpeg F1C1971D-1DD2-4A66-8385-E934C6CDAD18.jpeg F1C1971D-1DD2-4A66-8385-E934C6CDAD18.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ide say right before the net is full if its indica dom. If its sativa dom, then a little before that.

Depends how tall you want your colas above the screen.
    Obviously you wanna cover your square footage as much as you can too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I don't lay the net until a week or so after I switch to 12/12.
    Here's a writeup that you may enjoy
    How To SCROG

• Like Like x 1
  4. im just gonna start sharing that link when someone asks this question.
    That guide fuckin rocks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. please do, I follow these principles, but I do need to update some changes I've been making, like the later screen drop, although, I still like foot long colas from time to time, but during a scrog, I'm after the tops.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you for your reply. This is 60% Indica and 40% Sativa. I can afford about 12-18” abive the bet. That will leave me 12” The following w is the seeds i purchased and has all the specs for these plants. https://herbiesheadshop.com/cannabis-seeds/super-critical-bud-cbd-garden-of-green-seeds

7. #7 MIW, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    I go to 12/12 when my scrog is about 80% filled with green. I use metal fencing with 3x5 holes and force branches under the screen in the direction I want. The stiff screen allows for that, wimpy screens don't. If some branches get out of control I clip them back, but it doesn't happen often. Usually I get pretty good secondary branching, so you see mostly buds on top.

I trim the undersides as they grow. No use for small buds that don't get good light, and trimming underneath makes the tops grow faster and early topping gets plants to spread out. Marijuana is pretty easy to manipulate within reason.

The shorties get propped up to keep up with the faster growers. I use 1.5 inch styrofoam blocks under the trays to get the slow girls more or less equal to the faster plants. I grow under two lights so I try to keep shorter plants under one light so the average distance between lights and buds on all the plants is relatively consistent.

Lately I use 1/8th inch nylon rope tied end to end as a secondary screen about a foot higher than the metal scrog screen. I do this to make it easy to prop up branches late in the cycle when they get top heavy and start falling over. I use velcro tape to secure branches to the rope if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. That was a really good read. Thank you so much. It answered almost all the questions I had. This is my first grow and hopefully I don’t mess it up. If you can maybe answer one question I didn’t see in your teaching. My tent is only 5’ tall My buckets stand about 16 inches from the ground and my net is about 8 inches from the top of the bucket. My Light can lift to the top of the tent and take about 6 inches in space plus the 12 inch distance I read they need to be away from the light during flower. Adding all that that gives me 42 inches. That leaves me with 18 inches for available growing space above the net. (Of course in an ideal world I would want them to cover as much of the net as possible and be a long and fat as possible.) How do I know when to stop tucking in order to make sure the colas don’t grow more than 12-18 inches above the scrog net??

9. that's 18 x 2 = 36 inch start length, but once you set it to transition, there is a stretch.

Now you can go and fill the tent, see
    upload_2021-4-2_22-54-46.png
    but... well that's a good way, but the tops is the prime smoke, so i let them stretch a little more during transition, and then I place the net, so that way, there is limited growth, I get about, oh idk, ideally maybe 6-8" buds. That way those tops are exposed, but its timing. Part of knowing when to lay the net takes some experience with the strain, but generally, about a week or so once you switch to 12/12 should be ok, otherwise, u stuff em too much in the tent (like above) and end up with some good tops, but the bottom, kinda waste unless u r doing extracts.
    so, laying the net early, its ok, you can do it, but you won't have control of the stretch,
    for example compare to when the net is used later:
    upload_2021-4-2_22-59-34.png
    upload_2021-4-2_23-0-3.png
    in this example, there is minimal larf. well, i had side lights there too, but still, the length, just remember it isn't a contest who can grow the longest bud in the room :)

This is why I should go update that thread already.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mostly guess work and/or experience. We all assume a plant will double in size after flower stretch. Some will be under, double, or over. Using a ruler might help you track the rate of growth. The stretch slows down as it ends(if all else is well), so it could give you a sign how long to keep tucking to meet your height limits. Err on the side of caution, its better to undershoot than overshoot and you light burn/stress your leaves/buds cause they got too tall past the screen and too close to the light.

Ide wait for the pro scrogger Trojan to chime in :)..edit: got there before me! Hehe

• Like Like x 1