Cannabis is an amazing plant that fills me with creativity and openness, but it’s not just me! Cannabis is also the same plant that has been ingested by other humans for thousands of years, and has been widely renowned pretty much since it’s discovery. There are many great ganja quotes that have been spoken by artists, celebrities, scientists and current and former US Presidents that call out for appreciation and acceptance of cannabis.
1. “Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn’t the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?”- Bill Hicks
Late comedian Bill Hicks was best known for his outspoken opposition to the United States’ “war on drugs. His incisive commentary on American society reminds us all that the war on drugs has failed and marijuana reform is badly needed to address America’s growing incarceration problem.
2. “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.” – Bob Marley
The undisputed guru of ganja and reggae music, Marley mixed the spirituality of Rastafarianism with social commentary on marijuana prohibition throughout the world.
3. “Marijuana is quite possibly the finest of intoxicants. It has been scientifically proven, for decades, to be much less harmful to the body than alcohol when used on a regular basis (Google “Science”).” -Nick Offerman
Offerman is best known for his portrayal of the anti-government government official Ron Swanson on the hit show Parks and Recreation.
4. “And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more.” -King James Bible
God was the original stoner.
5. “Prison is for rapists, thieves, and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, then you’re the fucking criminal.” -Joe Rogan
Rogan an actor and former host of the TV show Fear Factor has had more recent success with his series of satirical political podcasts.
6. “The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.” -Carl Sagan
Late astronomer, cosmologist and physicist Carl Sagan was a strong supporter in spirituality and science and published over 600 books and papers on cosmology.
7. “Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself; and where they are, they should be changed. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against possession of marijuana in private for personal use.” -Jimmy Carter
Former President Jimmy Carter was a strong advocate for common sense marijuana reform.
8. “I think people need to be educated to the fact that marijuana is not a drug. Marijuana is an herb and a flower. God put it here. If He put it here and He wants it to grow, what gives the government the right to say that God is wrong?” -Willie Nelson
Willie Nelson is an American singer-songwriter best known for his pro cannabis activism.
9. “It really puzzles me to see marijuana connected with narcotics dope and all of that stuff. It is a thousand times better than whiskey. It is an assistant and a friend.”- Louis Armstrong
Armstrong was a very famous musician from the jazz age of the 1920’s.
10. “I have always loved marijuana. It has been a source of joy and comfort to me for many years. And I still think of it as a basic staple of life, along with beer and ice and grapefruits -and millions of Americans agree with me.” -Hunter S. Thompson
Thompson was best known for his trippy drug fueled novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
11. “Marijuana is a useful catalyst for specific optical and aural aesthetic perceptions. I apprehended the structure of certain pieces of jazz and classical music in a new manner under the influence of marijuana, and these apprehensions have remained valid in years of normal consciousness.” -Allen Ginsberg
Ginsberg was a famous poet from the beat generation and one of the first hippies.
12. “It is beyond my comprehension that any humane person would withhold such a beneficial substance from people in such great need simply because others use it for different purposes.”- Steven Gould
Steven Gould is a science fiction author nominated twice for the Hugo award and known best for the novel that inspired the movie Jumper.
13. “Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the hemp fields?” -Henry Ford
Ford was the inventor of the automobile and the founder of Ford Motor Company.
14. “When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point.”- Barack Obama
Barack Obama is the current President of the United States.
15. “Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it everywhere.” -George Washington
George Washington was a hero of the Revolutionary War, the first President of the United States and is known as the “father of the United States.”
Featured Image Source: Codigonuevo.com
Which one is your favorite? Did we miss the weed-inspired quote that keeps you optimistic? Let us know in the comments!